Friday, April 22, 2022

"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?


I'll admit to not bothering with the latest Tom Swift series, but I had been keeping an eye on it. After all, Tom Swift has crossed over the Hardy Boys before, and I was curious to see if it could happen again. 

The latest book, "Depth Perception", came out last month. For reasons that I will explain in an upcoming post, I was curious if there was an upcoming book listed on the back. Unfortunately, Amazon only had a preview of the ebook on its site, so no checking there.

I definitely wasn't paying money for a book I wasn't going to read, so I went off to the local Indigo to see if I could a copy over there.  When I got there, I saw the Diaries and Adventures series there, but no Tom Swift whatsoever. 

I checked with an employee and confirmed my suspicions. There were no "Inventors' Academy" books in the store. The only two "Tom Swift" books that could be ordered to the store were box sets, and not "Depth Perception". 

Fortunately, Hardy Boys Casefiles user "tomswift2002" had bought the book and was able to look at the back cover. It turns out, there was no next book in the series listed anywhere. Instead, the back cover shows "The Drone Pursuit", which is the first book in the series. 

Every other "Inventors' Academy" book gave readers a picture of the next book's cover on the back. So, I have to assume that there is no next book, and the series has been canceled. I suppose there could be an unpublished #9 laying around, but we'll never know.

This keeps up the unfortunate tradition of the Tom Swift series lasting nowhere as long as their Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew equivalents. 

Edit: 
There has been at least one Hardy Boys Adventures book where the back cover didn't show a cover for a new book. In other words, #9 might still be on its way. However, I'm still doubtful. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

I'll admit to not bothering with the latest Tom Swift series, but I had been keeping an eye on it. After all, Tom Swift has crossed over...